Given that most of the fruits and veggies on our plates travel 4000km from where they’ve been grown, it’s incredibly empowering to bite an apple right off the tree. – Laura Reinsborough, NFFTT Founder, guest blogger
Laura Reinsborough encourages us to enjoy the fruits of our own labour by picking fruit from our own neighbourhoods. Eating great tasting locally grown food reduces waste and energy consumption. The average distance food travels from farm to plate is 4,000 kilometers – that’s a whole lot of carbon dioxide and chemicals needed to keep the food “fresh.
Laura founded Not Far From The Tree, an organization that harvests fruit bearing plants around Toronto – taking the 100-mile diet to a whole new level. A third of the bounty goes to the volunteers, a third goes to the owner of the tree and a third goes to local shelters, preventing thousands of pounds of fruit from going to waste each year.
As global food demand is projected to increase by 70% by 2050, the amount of land suitable for food production is likely to decrease due to pressures from other uses and climate change . Not Far From the Tree (NFFTT) is addressing this problem by helping to capture and provide to our cities local food that would otherwise be wasted and is healthier, tastier, and better for the environment.
Music by Psycho Key
• Register your fruit tree here if you live in Toronto. Many other cities have similar projects, like initiatives in Vancouver, Victoria, Richmond,
Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Guelph, Los Angeles.
• Create your own branch of NFFTT by organizing an urban fruit harvest.
• Gather your friends and neighbours and take the community garden challenge. Use a tool kit for tips and ideas.
• Share your backyard with the Sharing Backyards program, to provide space to grow fruits and veggies in the city.
• Donate to Not Far From the Tree.
Tell 10 friends that our average meal travels 5,000 km before it reaches our plates. It’s a lot healthier, tastier, and better for the environment to eat local.
A single act, done by many, makes a big difference. Join the Green Heroes™ Academy to discover green acts that are fun to do and that earn you points on your way to becoming a Green Hero too!